What does it do?
The main function of the application is to find apps that match your interests. The way the app goes about doing this is by breaking up apps into “subscriptions” that allow you to and and remove apps from a particular subscription (Ex: the “Holo Everywhere Apps” subscription that features all of the apps that have been covered on Holo Everywhere!). You then go about subscribing to feeds that are of interest to you, and can install the applications straight from the feed (this will open up a new window in the Google Play Store allowing you to install).
You can also go to the Playboard website and register to create your own feeds that others can subscribe to as well. We are currently working on a HoloEverywhere feed that will list the apps that we have previously covered. Once we are approved, and the list is live, we’ll be sure to let you know.
Additionally, there is the ability to share app listings using Androids built in Share abilities.
From a design perspective, the app features a clean UI that implements a nice swipe header, coupled with a Holo light UI.
The developer also calls out some highlighted features, as well via the Play store description
– Customize your board with the app channels you like most
– Must-have apps and games
– Recommended apps and games of the day
– Handpicked apps from our editorial board
– Country specific apps
– Apps and games recommended from bloggers and websites
- Use of the Action bar that properly follows the Android Design Guidelines.
- Holo icons throughout the application
- Holo Light theme
- Wonderful use of Swipe navigation (left to right) when viewing apps in the subsciption view as well as the “Featured” area above the “My Subscriptions”
- A Holo Dark theme would be a nice addition
- Widget, preferably a swipe scroll widget (ex: Youtube, Play store widget).
- Ability to log into your Playboard account to manage subscriptions from the website.
- Ability to create feeds from the app.
Playboard is one of the few recommendation apps that have stood out and held their own. The app is beautiful, simple, and easy to use and closely follows the Android Design Guidelines. The subsciption idea is excellent (reminds me of RSS) and not overwhelming. As the lists are created by humans and not bots, they seem more polished and professional. An app I would highly recommend to anyone that is always on the hunt for new Android applications.
Holo Score: 8.8/10 “Highly Recommended”
Playboard // Free (Ad-Free)